January 19, 2011

Day 19: Dinner = Ice Cream

Ice Cream = Dinner = Try Again... Tomorrow. I finally tried the Tin Roof Sundae and now it is gone. I made the mistake of thinking I could eat out of the carton and restrain myself. HaHaHa. So we will now be done with diet talk for the day because I totally screwed the pooch as far as calories and everything else. Perhaps tomorrow I will share the photos of the wonderfully healthy breakfast and lunch that I destroyed with frozen goodness just a few minutes ago.

Next subject...

I know in the last few weeks that this blog has become almost entirely about my weight-loss and eating habits, but really it is more than that. I like to talk about my family and what we're up to and my lovely little children that every so often become possessed by greedy, rude, insufferable entities. These are also the moments in our family's life that Husband and I start reevaluating our parenting because we just *have* to be doing something wrong for them to be acting so terribly.

Then we realize, nope, not us... they are just rotten little ingrates. OK, to be fair, we have not figured out the right way to teach them how much they actually have and how lucky they are. All of the kids they know have the same lifestyle, if not *better* with more stuff. I am constantly repeating to them that they need to be grateful and appreciate what they have and are given. They continually look at me with those glazed over expressions waiting for me to release them from kiddie hell. They simply do not get it.

A few weeks back, I was ranting on Facebook (yes, I know I spend way too much time there. Thank-You-Very-Much.) with some other moms about the ungratefuls that we are raising. It made me feel so much better knowing that I am not the only one trying to get it right and still somehow falling short. Since it was clear that a lot of parents are struggling with the same spoiled attitudes, I decided to start poking around the Internet to see if I could find any helpful advice. I stumbled across these:

They are personalized Gratitude Journals for kids. Click on the above photo and it will take you to the website where I created/ordered these. Just a warning, you will have to register to see their products. Inside these journals, are prompts for the kids to fill out the things they are grateful for on a daily basis from Monday through Friday. I'm hoping we can do them with homework or maybe even as part of a bedtime routine. I've been meaning to incorporate bedtime prayers for awhile so maybe this can be part of that, too. Fill out the journals and then say our prayers thanking God for the things that they listed for that day's entry.

I don't know if these will help at all, but it's something. And I need to feel like I'm doing everything I can to teach my children to be grateful beyond issuing the empty "thank you's" that they have been prompted to regurgitate on command. Maybe I'm expecting to much, but I want my kids to truly appreciate all of the blessings in their lives. I know in time that these lessons will take root. For now, I need to keep on them and have faith that the "aha!" moment, when they finally get it, isn't too far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment